Yes, last week I talked about how relationships were heavy on my heart, well this week I have even more to reenforce that God is working with me in this area.
This time He took me to Philippians chapter 2 verses 1 through 8. I know years back when I was in ministry flippantly, we challenged the youth kids to memorize the first 11 verses and it was AMAZING to hear one of them recite it straight from her heart!!!!
In the margin of my Bible next to these verses it says, "kills selfishness & pride", just imagine if you were to have these verses memorized you would always be carrying with you the remedy for your selfishness and your pride!! WOW! -if only I would have been as serious as that blessed youth girl!!! (Bless you Amanda!)
So as I mentioned last week, not only do we need to determine EVERYDAY to step out of our self and bless someone, but we need to BE UNITED as well!
Just recently my family has been quite hurt regarding some pieces of disunited Christians, I actually had no words to describe how much I DIDN'T understand it all. I felt very much like Jesus in anger when He turned the tables over because the people where making His house a marketplace! Would God come with the same heart wanting to fix the disunity in His church???
I don't know, but I do know I felt very much like I myself could learn a bit more of what was need for unity and HOW to be united - well here it was! Philippians 2 tells us to...
- be encouraging - uplifting, inspiring, motivating, to stir/fire up!
- be consoling - sympathetic, supportive, reassuring.
- be in fellowship of the spirit - spend time together with other believers.
- be affectionate - loving, devoted, softhearted, demonstrative!
- be compassionate - caring, sensitive, considerate, charitable.
- have the same mind
- have the same love
- be united in spirit
- be intent on one purpose
- do not be selfish - get out of your "little world", out of your comfort zone, stop worrying about the next post you need to publish, or how long it has been since you ate or showered!
- be humble - and understand that other Christians around you are also fighting with their flesh! Try to understand where THEY are coming from and put their interests BEFORE your own!
That was what was needed, now this is how...
- Have an attitude like Christ.
- Get UNcomfortable.
- LET GO of your flesh - even to the point of death - Jesus did not stop on the via de la rosa, He went all the way to Calvary, all the way to DEATH... die to that flesh!
- Be humble and willing.
- Put your "old man"off.
- FEED YOUR SPIRIT!
- Read your Bible, pray everyday, pray everyday, pray everyday.
- Read your Bible, pray everyday and you'll grow, grOW, GROW!
"So this I say, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, being darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart; and they, having become callous, have given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness. But you did not learn Christ is this way, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus, that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth." Espesians 4: 17-24
This is me trying to fire you up :)