Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Not so Wordless Wednesday!

ANOTHER close call with my son!
He was choking today!!! Not breathing, mouth open, trying to cough, lips started to turn blue, panic on his little face like "Mommy fix it!"... the whole bit!!!! I automatically put him over my knee to do the Baby Heimlich Maneuver...
He is fine, the bit of turkey meat came right out, he started crying so I knew he was fine, poor little guy! We kinda knew this would happen someday with the way he has always eaten.

Please if you do not know read up on the Heimlich Maneuver, it can save someone's life!!!

When I was young probably about 5 or 6 I used to walk to school with my mom her friend and her friend's kids, we used to stop at the corner market and get candy. I used to love buying Jaw Breakers (Can you see where this story is going?), which I no longer care for... well I choked on one and since no one really knew what to do my mom's friend took me by the ankles and swung me upside down until it came out!!!! Talk about crazy!!! This memory often seems like a dream because it was so strange, but it really did happen. Praise God for this woman's quick decision even without knowledge she saved my life!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you knew what to do! ALso agree that it is totally important for others to know what to do! I am a nurse and have had to tell people in a panic over the phone what to do! so much better to learn ahead!

What a beautiful little boy and so glad he will be running and playing because of his mothers smart thinking! Have a wonderful day filled with God’s Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Carolyn! You have had some close calls recently! Definitely a praise that everything turned out just fine both times. I hope that you have an uneventful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Great job! Thank you for sharing your story. As a Mom/Baby RN, I encourage all Moms & Dads to know the Baby Heimlich. Awesome!

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.