Monday, January 12, 2009

Therefore Repent and Live!

My Walk Monday
Wowie wowie wow wow wow! I had the most sleepless night ever last night! I could say it was terrible, but it really wasn't, I was just wide awake.

A lot of it could be that I stayed up too long watching old re-runs of So You Think You Can Dance (season 2) or it's just the restlessness of wanting more and more of my Jesus without actually letting Him in!

I ended up going downstairs for my Bible at like 2:00 a.m.. I read the 18th chapter of Ezekiel - it was VERY encouraging - so much so that I told my husband that I need to get a tattoo on my arm of the last four words! "Therefore repent and live!" This is a GREAT reminder!

This morning I also told my husband that usually I can ignore asking the 'therefore' question (what is it there for?) and just take some single verses as they are, but this one I could NOT!

I could not would not with a vote! I would not could not in a boat! lol hehehe - sorry back on track now!

The reason this 'therefore' is there is what gives this verse SO much strength! This chapter focus' on the fact that God deals with everyone separately and according to the deeds of their heart. (You should read the chapter for yourself.) It also shows that the three/four generation pattern of sin is very breakable! And that even if you are living in sin you can always turn!
  • The righteous man will surely live (verses 5-9).
  • The son of the righteous man who then commits abominations will surely be put to death, his blood will be on his own head (verses 10-13).
  • The grandson who observes all his father's sins and does NOT do likewise - he will not die for his father's iniquity (verses 14-18)
As one of my beloved youth pastors used to say "God has no grandchildren". It's all about a personal relationship! The righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself. (Ezekiel 18:20b)

But the other great thing about this chapter is it shows that God will not leave us in our sin - nor does He want to!

I encourage you brethren if you are committing any sin that you KNOW the Lord is convicting you about that you have not given up to Him, or that you continue to take back from Him... consider this chapter and turn away from it! (verse 28) let not your iniquity (or chosen sin) be a stumbling block to you (or anyone else) any longer! (verse 30). Determine to cast away from it and make yourselves a new heart and new spirit - instead of choosing death - why would you CHOSE death!? (verse 31)

"Therefore repent and live!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand that whole wanting more but not opening up to let him in thing....totally sums it up for me sometimes!
Thanks for hosting!

Angela said...

Thanks so much sweetie for adding me to the Link. I get it now,,LOL..I didn't know you started a Mister Linky. I remember at your old blog you just had a running list. God willing, I will faithfully come here now also to add my link after I write my devotional. Other than my Fearless Friday Meme, you are the only one I participate in. I LOVE how it makes me meditate, reflect, and be honest with what I'm going through, struggling with and or overcome!!
blessings...