Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Walk Monday on a Tuesday

My Walk Monday

This Sunday's message was in Genesis 17 and it focused on the Removal of the Flesh.

It was a really good message and I am blessed to be here on a Monday Tuesday (almost Wednesday) forcing myself to review it with you so it will sink in better!

God makes a covenant with Abraham in this chapter and I think it is really interesting to notice what God asks of him (and us) in verse one... He says to walk before Him and be blameless.

  • We are not to sit before Him, or stand before Him, but we are to walk before Him! It reminds me of James 1:22 that tells us not to be merely hearers of the word, but doers!
  • The word blameless means innocent of wrongdoing this also reminds me of the end of James 1 where it says to keep oneself unstained by the world.
  • So we are to walk unstained.

Abraham's only part of the covenant was to cut out the flesh, or remove it (Colossians 2:11) Yes is sounds painful but it's all that God asked of Him! I love if you jump further in this chapter it says he circumcised the flesh the very same day as God had asked him (verse 23b) I only pray that I would have that same sense of urgency with my Lord, because I know I do NOT have it now!

Another part I love is verse three where, "Abram fell on his face, and God talked with him." WOW! Another great example that I think we should follow along with often in prayer - I feel it gets our heart in the right position - in a very vulnerable position!

And let me leave you with this...

Colossians 2:9-12
"For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead."

A-men!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. amen!

Anonymous said...

I didn’t realize that there was a message like this in Genesis. And I just read Genesis at the beginning of this year. I’m learning something similar in a book that I’m reading called The Pursuit of Holiness. I wrote a My Walk Monday post about what I’ve recently learned about David.